Vilmos F. Fischer was one of the sons of Mór Fischer who had taken over the Herend porcelain factory in 1839. In 1876 Mór retired to Tata and turned the factory over to his other son Sámuel. After working for the factory, Vilmos moved to Kolozsvár and signed his work “porcelain-painter, Kolozsvár.” Thus at the 1879 National Industrial Exhibition at Székesfehérvar all three were represented- Mór Farkasházy Fischer, Tata, porcelain items; Sámuel Farkasházy Fischer, purveyor to his Majesty the King, Herend; Vilmos Farkasházy Fischer, porcelain-painter, Kolozsvár. The factory was taken over by the government in 1884 and about this time the brothers moved to Tata, took over their father’s workshop and operated it as “sons of Mór Fischer.” Mór Fischer had introduced a complicated and expensive hand-painted pattern called “Ming” which this cup follows. See Győző Sikota, Herend, The Art of Hungarian Porcelain, for a plate in this pattern illus. 7, p. 38.
See a porcelain Seder Tray on Stand, of close design to the present cup, also 1881, with painted inscription on the base “Vilmos Fischer’s workshop of porcelain painting, Kolozsvár 1881” in the Jewish Museum, Budapest, illustrated (2 views) in the catalogue, Ilona Benoschofsky et al, The Jewish Museum of Budapest, no. 128, p. 133.
Please call 1-800-555-5555 to order a print catalog for this sale.