The Marlborough Club was established around 1868 by the Prince of Wales (later Edward VII) and a group of his friends for the purpose of securing 'a convenient and agreeable place of meeting for a Society of Gentlemen'. The Club, situated at 52 Pall Mall, was formed as a protest against the restrictions on smoking which were imposed at White's Club. Until his accession to the throne the Prince of Wales regularly attended. Membership was limited to 450 and the entrance fee and annual subscription were high. In 1945 the Windham, Orleans and Marlborough Clubs amalgamated to form the Marlborough-Windham Club, but was closed in 1953.
Around 1872 The Prince of Wales commissioned Pellegrini to caricature twenty founder members of his Marlborough Club and a portfolio presented to the future King Edward VII is now in the Royal Collection.
Please call 1-800-555-5555 to order a print catalog for this sale.