The inscription probably refers to the Southwark Public Subscription Brewery, established in Weston Street, Southwark, by Hollingsworth & Co. before 1810. Southwark was then a center for beer-making, with the nearby Anchor brewery - producing 300,000 barrels a year in 1815 - being proclaimed the largest in the world in the 19th century.
In 1810 Hollingsworth & Co. dissolved their partnership, and in 1816 its Weston Street location was purchased, along with 21 licensed houses, by the brewers Combe, Delafield & Co. of Long Acre (see The Brewing Industry: A Guide to Historical Records). This tureen was probably presented as part of that transaction. Today, once-industrial Weston Street sits between the Shard and White Cube gallery.
Please call 1-800-555-5555 to order a print catalog for this sale.