120,000 - 180,000 USD
- Ventura di Moro
Vitetti collection, Rome, by 1961.
F. Zeri, "La mostra 'Arte in Valdelsa' a Certaldo," in Bollettino d’arte, 1963, 48, p. 256.
Ventura di Moro was active in Florence in the fifteenth century and specialized in small-scale portable tabernacles destined for private devotion. Formerly known as the Pseudo-Ambrogio di Baldese, he was identified as Ventura di Moro based on the signature on the edge of the blue cloak in his Madonna and Child of circa 1430 in the Pinacoteca Nazionale in Siena.1 Documentary evidence tells us much of Ventura’s life: in 1416 he was enrolled in the Accademia di San Luca, the painter’s guild, and by 1427 he was running a busy workshop with the help of two other artists who are otherwise unknown, Giuliano di Jacopo and Marco di Filippo. None of Ventura’s recorded works is extant other than two ruined detached frescoes depicting the Story of Saint Peter Martyr painted in 1446 with Rossello Jacopo Franchi for the façade of the Bigallo Oratory in Florence.
1. See P. Torriti, La Pinacoteca Nazionale di Siena, Genoa 1990, pp. 294-95, cat. no 389, reproduced in color fig. 368.