119
119
Giacomo Quarenghi
TWO STUDIES FOR THE SHEREMETEV PALACE
前往
119
Giacomo Quarenghi
TWO STUDIES FOR THE SHEREMETEV PALACE
前往

拍品詳情

俄羅斯繪畫

|
倫敦

Giacomo Quarenghi
1744 - 1817
TWO STUDIES FOR THE SHEREMETEV PALACE
inscribed Comte Cheremeteff à Petersbourg l.l.
pen, Indian ink, grey wash and watercolour on paper
28 by 45cm, 11 by 17 3/4 in.
參閱狀況報告 參閱狀況報告

相關資料

This exceptional group of eleven designs by Giacomo Quarenghi were recently discovered and extracted from a leather-bound album of drawings by various artists, principally of theatre designs by Alessandro Sanquirico (1777–1849) who worked at the Scala of Milan at the beginning of the nineteenth century.

Palladian architect Quarenghi was the most celebrated in Imperial Russia under Catherine the Great, officially being appointed court architect to the Empress not long after arriving in St Petersburg from Italy in 1779. His first high profile commission was the English Palace in Peterhof. Other celebrated examples of his work are Alexander Palace at Tsarskoe Selo, the Hermitage Theatre and the Smolny Institute of Noble Maidens in St Petersburg. He produced a large number of designs for the Empress and her court during the two decades he spent in Russia.

Count Nikolai Petrovich Sheremetev (1751-1809) was a major Russian collector and patron of the arts as well as a philanthropist who founded and gave his name to the hospital in Moscow for which Quarenghi designed a colonnade. The architect also designed his house in St Petersburg where he lived with his wife Praskovia Ivanovna Kovaliova (1768-1803) who had been an actress.

We are grateful to Emmanuel Ducamp for providing additional cataloguing information.

俄羅斯繪畫

|
倫敦