- Antonio Joli
- 38 x 71 公分；15 x 28 英寸
With Rafael Valls, London, presumably by whom acquired from the above sale;
From whom believed to have been acquired by the present owner in around 1982–83.
The scene depicts La Iglesia y la Plaza de San Antonio in Aranjuez, with the gate to the formal palace gardens visible on the right of the scene and the royal coach appearing in the left foreground heading for the main entrance gate to the palace. In the centre of the square is the Fuente del Rey, which was constructed between July 1750 and May 1752 by Juan Domingo Olivieri to a design by Santiago Bonavia, and which is dominated by a statue of Ferdinand VI, made from marble imported from Carrara. The present version can likely be dated circa 1753–54 on account of the depiction of the imposing Iglesia de San Antonio in the centre background, which was built to a design by Giacomo Bonavia and was not completed until March 1753.
According to Dr. Ralph Toledano (see under Literature) the present work has an inscription on the back of the original canvas (now covered by the lining canvas) stating: ‘eduta srd primo iagio d’Aranjuez 175? Joli ft.’, indicating the artist painted the work during his first visit to Aranjuez, which means that almost certainly it is the prime version of the composition, which is also known in two subsequent versions: a larger work (77 by 125.5 cm.) today in the collection of Juan Abelló in Madrid; and another, slightly larger than the present work (42 by 77 cm.) sold Madrid, Edmund Peel & Asociados, 20 November 1992, lot 13 and today in a private collection. Each of the versions displays numerous changes to the details of the figures, underscoring the highly creative working process of the artist.