“Possibly influenced by the immediate popularity of the cross and candlesticks which Clarke made for the Chapel of the Cross at Coventry, the Worshipful Company of Goldsmiths commissioned a silver cross and candlesticks from Clarke. In an article about modern British silver, Graham Hughes, secretary of the Goldsmith’s Company described Clarke’s Coventry set as ‘epoch making’. Writing about the Goldsmiths Cross, he suggested that its organic form symbolises the living church. (The Studio
, March 1960, quoted in Peter Black, Geoffrey Clarke, Symbols of Man; Sculpture and Graphic Work 1949-94
, Lund Humphries, London, 1994, p.48)”.
We are grateful to Dr. Judith LeGrove for her kind assistance with the cataloguing of the present work.
Dr. LeGrove is currently compiling a catalogue raisonné of Geoffrey Clarke's work, initially focusing on the 1950s, and would be grateful to trace the location of any works from this period. Please write to Judith LeGrove, c/o Sotheby’s Modern & Post-War British Art, 34-35 New Bond Street, London, W1A 2AA.