John Phillips (active 1725-62) was a London cabinet-maker with shop at 'the corner of St Paul's Chain in St Paul's Churchyard' where, in May 1725, he took an insurance cover of £1000 for its goods. He moved his shop – called ‘The Cabinet’ - to Cornhill, against St Peter’s church, in 1732 (G. Beard, Dictionary), while he was actively supplying the Duke of Beaufort. Bills for the period between 1728 and 1733 show he received £444 9s 6d for his services to the Duke and Duchess. He supplied Badminton not only with a sphinx table but also a dolphin table and an eagle table, the latter using the aforementioned scroll and plinth moulding. Phillips is also recorded as a glass-maker.
Please call 1-800-555-5555 to order a print catalog for this sale.