110

拍品詳情

歐洲家具與工藝品

|
倫敦

A George II carved giltwood side table
early 18th century
the foliate decorated frieze centered by a scallop shell on a punch work ground, the hipped cabriole legs with fish scale and acanthus motifs, with an associated breche violet marble top
81cm. high, 130cm. wide, 54cm. deep; 2ft. 8in., 4ft. 3¼in., 1ft. 8½in.
參閱狀況報告 參閱狀況報告

來源

Anonymous sale, Christie`s London, 13th April 1989, lot 75.

相關資料

The present table relates to several other known examples which include a table sold Sotheby`s New York, A Celebration of the English Country House, April 18th and 19th 2002, lot 655 with a provenance of Viscount Leverhulme. This table like the present example, had finely detailed carving in gesso. The boldly conceived square cabriole legs with acanthus carving and scrolled toes and shell carved apron date both that table and the present example table to the early 1730s. At that time design and construction, particularly in giltwood was becoming bolder and more assured and gesso carving in low relief was less fashionable, however the influence of earlier cabinet-makers, such as James Moore ( c.1660-1726) is still discernible. Moore worked with his father and was closely involved with William Kent in the furnishing of St. James`s Palace, becoming cabinet-maker and chair-maker to Frederick, Prince of Wales. Another Royal cabinet-maker closely associated with the Moore family was Benjamin Goodison ( c. 1700-1767) who had worked as a journeyman for Moore senior, and whose future style was clearly influenced by him.

 Other related examples include a table illustrated in Macquoid and Edwards, The Dictionary  of  English Furniture, London, 1953, vol. III, p.313, fig. 21, Christopher Gilbert, Furniture at Temple Newsam House and Lotherton Hall, Leeds, 1978, p.352, item 444, and a pair of tables sold Christie`s London, Important English Furniture, 28th November 2002, lot 150. The present table also relates to one sold by the Lord Browlow, Belton House, Lincolnshire, Christie`s house sale, 30 April-2nd May 1984, lot 108. Subsequently purchased by the National Trust, it can still be seen at Belton House.

歐洲家具與工藝品

|
倫敦