143
143
A set of four Victorian silver dessert stands, R. & S. Garrard & Co., London, 1854
ACCÉDER AU LOT
143
A set of four Victorian silver dessert stands, R. & S. Garrard & Co., London, 1854
ACCÉDER AU LOT

Details & Cataloguing

The Neil & Gina Smith Collection

|
Londres

A set of four Victorian silver dessert stands, R. & S. Garrard & Co., London, 1854
circular, the bases and stems cast with formal borders and fluted panels enclosing husks, leaves and other motifs in 'Renaissance' style, the shallow lobed dishes with similar applied border and engraving, the centres engraved with a crest and marquess's coronet, the underside of one stamped: '77'
18.7cm., 7 3.8in. high, 27cm., 10 5/8in. diameter
4610gr., 148oz. 4dwt
Lire le rapport d'état Lire le rapport d'état

Provenance

John Alexander, 4th Marquess of Bath (1831-1896), Longleat
Christie's, London, Furniture, Porcelain and Silver from Longleat, 13 June 2002, lot 451

Bibliographie

4th Marquess of Bath, Heirlooms, Inventory of Plate: 'Four 10" fluted and chased dessert tazzas.'

Description

The crest and coronet are those of Thynne, Marquesses of Bath for John Alexander Thynne, 4th Marquess of Bath (1831-1896). He, who succeeded to the title upon the death of his father in 1837, was Envoy Extraordinary to Portugal for the investiture of King Pedro V in 1858 and in 1867 to Austria for the investiture of the Emperor Franz Joseph. He was married in 1861 to Frances Isabella Catherine (1840-1915), eldest daughter of Thomas Vesey, 3rd Viscount de Vesci. According to his obituary in The Times (21 April 1896, p. 5, quoted in The Compete Peerage, vol. II, p. 26, note c), he was a Conservative, but 'never played a prominent part in politics, though he devoted a considerable part of his time and energies to county business, and was universally respected as a highly cultured, scrupulously honourable English gentleman of the best type. . . .  Always a shy man . . . he remained to the last, under a cloak of reserve bordering on hauteur, one of the most kind hearted men.'

The Neil & Gina Smith Collection

|
Londres