43
43

PROPERTY OF THE PRINCE OF PRUSSIA

Wilhelm Brücke
THE STADTSCHLOSS, BERLIN
Lot. Vendu 175,000 GBP (Prix d’adjudication avec commission acheteur)
ACCÉDER AU LOT
43

PROPERTY OF THE PRINCE OF PRUSSIA

Wilhelm Brücke
THE STADTSCHLOSS, BERLIN
Lot. Vendu 175,000 GBP (Prix d’adjudication avec commission acheteur)
ACCÉDER AU LOT

Details & Cataloguing

Old Masters Evening Sale

|
Londres

Wilhelm Brücke
STRALSUND 1800 - 1874 BERLIN
THE STADTSCHLOSS, BERLIN
indistinctly signed and dated lower right; with the Burg Hohenzollern label (no. 351) on the reverse
oil on canvas
80 x 135 cm.; 31½ x 53 in.
Lire le rapport d'état Lire le rapport d'état

Provenance

King Friedrich Wilhelm III of Prussia (1770–1840), acquired in 1839;

Thence by descent to a member of the ‘Haus Preussen’.

Exposition

Berlin, XXX Kunstausstellung der Königlichen Akademie der Künste, 1838, no. 87 (as Ansicht von den Linden aus auf das Königliche Schloss zu Berlin);

Berlin, Nationalgalerie, Ausstellung deutscher Kunst aus der Zeit von 1775-1875, 1906;

Berlin, Berlin Museum, Stadtbilder: Berlin in der Malerei vom 17. Jahrhundert bis zur Gegenwart, 19 September – 1 October 1987.

Bibliographie

U. Thieme and F. Becker, Allgemeines Lexikon der bildenden Künstler von der Antike bis zur Gegenwart, Leipzig 1999, p. 96.

Description

Wilhelm Brücke’s painting of the Stadtschloss, the Berlin city castle, shows one of the most stunning views of Berlin’s famous boulevard Unter den Linden, the central axis from the Brandenburg gate to the castle. The castle as Berlin’s hub is the focal point of the painting showing some of the most important cultural, military and university buildings aligned along the boulevard to form a breath-taking view towards it.

The buildings immediately to the left and right form part of the Friedrich-Wilhelms-Universität founded in 1810, which since 1949 has been known as Berlin’s Humboldt University. The building to the left dating to the mid-18th century is the main building, formerly the palace of Prince Henry of Prussia. It was donated by Friedrich Wilhelm III after whom the university was named in 1828. Some of its most famous nineteenth-century students include Otto von Bismarck, Karl Marx and Max Planck.

Immediately adjacent are the Neue Wache and the Zeughaus, to which Brücke dedicated another painting also on offer in this sale. The Kronprinzenpalais, the Crown Prince’s palace, opposite had been built in 1663 as a private residence and served as residence for the crown princes until it was given over to the National Gallery for its modern art collection in 1919. After destruction in World War II the building had to be rebuilt from the ground and is today a popular venue for various functions. The impressive neo-classical building next to it is the Royal Opera House built under Frederick II, the Great, between 1741 and 1743 as part of the planned Forum Fridericianum. In its history the opera house had to be rebuilt three times – once in 1843 and then in 1942 and 1955 by Richard Paulick as Deutsche Staatsoper Berlin, the famous German state opera, which after extensive refurbishment will open again to the public later this year.

Old Masters Evening Sale

|
Londres