In 1919 Klee secured a three-year contract with the dealer Hans Goltz, whose influential Munich gallery promoted his art and staged a large retrospective exhibition in 1920 of some 370 works, including the present picture. It was later that year that Klee was invited by the architect Walter Gropius to teach at the Bauhaus, and subsequently moved to Weimar in 1921, when his work would become increasingly abstract and geometricised. After Goltz, the picture then came into the collection of Ida Beinert (1870-1965), one of the most important patrons of German and European avant-garde art in the 20th century. Among the works in her collection were those of Klee, Gropius, Dix, Kokoschka and Nolde, who were all frequent attendants at the cultural salons she hosted in her home in Dresden during the 1920s. Beinert's collection remained intact during the Second World War and were relocated to her new home in Munich in 1945. Economic hardship during the post-war years compelled her to sell works from her collection, many of which now hang in museums throughout the world.
A Retro Racing Watch for the Modern Man
First Look: A Nearly Impossible Collection of the Most Legendary Wines
10 Dazzling Jewels from the Bourbon Parma Family Collection
First Look: Relive the 1990s Through the Collection of Damien Hirst’s Legendary Manager
Market-leading Contemporary Art Sales in Asia
Please call 1-800-555-5555 to order a print catalog for this sale.
L'inscription pour l'enchère en ligne est fermé pour cette vente . Voulez-vous regarder la vente en direct?Visionner La Vente En Temps Réel