According to the 1957 letter accompanying this lot, the ring was given by the Emperor to Alan Stevenson (1807-1865), the famed Scottish lighthouse engineer, following "the completion of the light house construction carried out by him in the year 1830. It is understood that to show his appreciation the Emperor drew the ring from his little finger and presented it with a grandiose flourish."
Thence by descent
Excerpt from Craig Muir, A Star for Seamen: The Stevenson Family of Engineers, London, 1978, p. 175:
"Of all the Stevensons, Alan was the most unusual engineer. He had unquestioned abilities, and by [the 1840s] had already been presented with medals from the kings of Holland and Prussia and with a splendid diamond ring from Czar Nicholas of Russia for his lighthouse work."
A Retro Racing Watch for the Modern Man
First Look: A Nearly Impossible Collection of the Most Legendary Wines
10 Dazzling Jewels from the Bourbon Parma Family Collection
First Look: Relive the 1990s Through the Collection of Damien Hirst’s Legendary Manager
Market-leading Contemporary Art Sales in Asia
Please call 1-800-555-5555 to order a print catalog for this sale.
L'inscription pour l'enchère en ligne est fermé pour cette vente . Voulez-vous regarder la vente en direct?Visionner La Vente En Temps Réel