Walter Neuwirth, Wiener Silber 1781-1866, Vienna, 2002, p. 15
These candelabra can be dated to between 1867, when the Vienna town mark changed to the head of Diana, and 1869, when the firm of Mayerhofer & Klinkosch was dissolved and replaced by that of J.C Klinkosch. The founders of this great silver manufucturing company, Stephan Mayerhofer (1772-1852) and Carl Klinkosch (1797-1860), had passed control to their sons Stephan Mayerhofer and Joseph Carl Klinkosch between 1847 and 1851. The elder Mayerhofer began at the end of the eighteenth century as a maker of `silver-plated wares on iron and steel,' and by 1802 was a maker of 'English plated wares,' presumerably in reference to the Sheffield plate system of sandwiching metal between sheets of silver. The double-headed eagle mark denoting Imperial and Royal privlilege for an 'iron and metal English-plated wares factory' was awarded in 1808. Privileges were variously achieved until in 1825 authorization to work in gold and silver was finally granted. The firm of Mayerhofer and Klinkosch, and later as J.C Klinkosch, eventually rose to become Austria's leading nineteenth century silver and luxury goods manufacturer.
A Retro Racing Watch for the Modern Man
First Look: A Nearly Impossible Collection of the Most Legendary Wines
10 Dazzling Jewels from the Bourbon Parma Family Collection
First Look: Relive the 1990s Through the Collection of Damien Hirst’s Legendary Manager
Market-leading Contemporary Art Sales in Asia
Please call 1-800-555-5555 to order a print catalog for this sale.
L'inscription pour l'enchère en ligne est fermé pour cette vente . Voulez-vous regarder la vente en direct?Visionner La Vente En Temps Réel