279
279

PROPERTY FORMERLY FROM THE FERREYRA PALACE, CORDOBA, ARGENTINA (LOT 279-342)

F. Chiurazzi Foundry
A green patinated bronze figure of a faun, after the antique
continental, early 19th century
Estimation
4 0006 000
Lot. Vendu 5,400 USD (Prix d’adjudication avec commission acheteur)
ACCÉDER AU LOT
279

PROPERTY FORMERLY FROM THE FERREYRA PALACE, CORDOBA, ARGENTINA (LOT 279-342)

F. Chiurazzi Foundry
A green patinated bronze figure of a faun, after the antique
continental, early 19th century
Estimation
4 0006 000
Lot. Vendu 5,400 USD (Prix d’adjudication avec commission acheteur)
ACCÉDER AU LOT

Details & Cataloguing

19th Century Furniture, Sculpture, Ceramics and Works of Art Including Property Formerly from the Palacio Ferreyra, Argentina

|
New York

F. Chiurazzi Foundry
A green patinated bronze figure of a faun, after the antique
continental, early 19th century

Bibliographie

F. Grementieri and X. Verstraeten, illustrated pp. 182-183.

Description

For an illustration of this model, see J. Chiurazzi & Fils-S. De Angelis & Fils, Naples, 1910, p. 237, no. 4888.

Palacio Ferreyra

 

The great transformation and progression occurring in Argentina at the turn of the 20th century was reflected in the extraordinary architectural and urban evolution, not only in Buenos Aires, but also in several other cities in the country.

 

The Ferreyra Palace in Córdoba was commissioned by Dr. Martin Ferreyra, a well known surgeon who studied in Buenos Aires, France and England. Ferreyra had held many different public positions and was a pioneer in the lime industry. Like many of his fellow citizens, he spent long stays in Paris with his wife Mercedes Navarro Ocampo and their seven children. In 1910, during one of his stays, Martin Ferreyra entrusted the project for his house in Córdoba to the Sanson architects, asking them to use as a source of inspiration another building constructed by them which he particularly liked, the Hotel Kessler (1905), located in the French capital, on Raphael Avenue.

 

Back in Argentina, Dr. Ferreyra asked engineer Carlos Agote to take on the building of the new residence. The construction, which began in 1912, suffered several delays at the beginning of the First World War and was not finish until 1916.

 

The Ferreyra Palace is one of the most remarkable buildings constructed following this international trend of recovering French classicism at the beginning of the 20th century.  The style adopted is an original recreation of the 17th and the 18th century French classicism, and combines a severe design composition of rigid geometry with refined and elegant decoration, whose plant and animal motifs give the building a certain "Art Nouveau" aspect, enhanced by the metal and glass cover that crowns the palace.

 

The decoration and furnishings were commissioned to the Paris firm Maison Krieger and the light fixtures to Maison Baguès in 1913. The interiors of the Ferreyra Palace are unique in Argentina, since they represent a sophisticated version of the Empire style, typical of the beginning of the 20th century, including traits and design criteria undoubtedly influenced by Art Nouveau.

 

Maison Krieger

Both marchands-mercier and manufacturers of furniture with large mechanized workshops, Antoine Krieger and his brother Nicolas launched Maison Krieger in 1826 at 17, Rue Saint-Nicolas, Paris.  In 1850 the firm was established as Antoine Krieger et Cie. However, when Antoine Krieger died in 1856, his son-in-law began running the company and decided to change the name to Cosse-Racault et Cie.  Finally, in 1880 the name was changed to Krieger, Damon et Cie when the firm merged, becoming one of the largest mechanized workshop of furniture in Paris, located at 74, Rue Du Faubourg-Saint-Antoine. Numerous furniture styles were displayed and created by Maison Krieger, producing and exhibiting copies and creations of 18th century and Empire designs, while also creating modern interpretations of the Louis XV and Louis XVI styles. They were exhibitors at the major exhibitions of the 19th century up to the 1900 Exposition Universelle.

 

Maison Baguès

The Baguès Company, located at 31, Rue des Francs-Bourgeois, was founded in 1840 by Mr. Noel Baguès who started to cast liturgical bronzes. In 1880, Eugene Baguès joined his father in business and started to develop lighting items.  In the years between the two world wars, grandsons Victor and Robert expanded the business with many highly sophisticated bronze and iron items. In the intervening years, the Baguès Company had become world famous for its high quality lighting fixtures and wall sconces.

 

Literature

F. Grementieri and X. Verstraeten, Grandes Residencias de Buenos Aires, La Influencia Francesa, Ed. Larivière, Buenos  Aires, 2006.

Carlos A. Page, El Palacio Ferreyra, Junta Provincial de Historia de Córdoba, 1994.

D. Ledoux-Lebard, Les Mobilier Français du XIX Siècle 1795-1889, Paris, 2000.

19th Century Furniture, Sculpture, Ceramics and Works of Art Including Property Formerly from the Palacio Ferreyra, Argentina

|
New York