Whisky and Rare Spirits Consignment
When you are ready to sell fine spirits or consign a collection of rare whisky or Cognac, Sotheby’s Wine can help you realise the highest price at an upcoming spirits auction. In fact, some special bottles of spirits, such as Macallan and Brora, might fetch more than you dreamed, and that’s the excitement of auction.
In 2019, Sotheby's presented The Ultimate Whisky Collection, a sale achieving a record £7.6 million, making it the most valuable private whisky collection ever offered at auction. At Sotheby's, we can help maximise the value of special bottles. We currently hold the records for the highest value ever achieved for any Whisky, Cognac and Wine sold at auction. We also hold the record for the most valuable bottles ever sold from The Macallan, Karuizawa, Dalmore, Bowmore, Springbank, Glenfiddich, Brora, Samaroli and Remy Martin. Recently, the Macallan Fine & Rare 60-year-old 1926 sold at Sotheby's London for £1.5 million, making it the world’s most expensive bottle of wine or spirit sold at auction.
Japanese whisky, such as Yamazaki, Hibiki, Hanyu and Karuizawa, is also in high demand among collectors. In March 2020, Sotheby’s set a new record for any Japanese whisky sold at auction – one bottle of 52yo Karuizawa 52 Year Old Zodiac Rat Cask sold in London for £363,000. If you are wondering about the value of your spirits collection, simply submit an inventory list through our easy-to-use online estimate form for a complimentary estimate, and let Sotheby's help you realise the highest price.
Find Out the Value of Your Spirits
Submit photos and information about your whisky, Cognac and other fine spirits to begin your complimentary estimate request.
Get an Estimate
Discover the Value of Your Spirits
1. Request an estimate online
2. Meet with a specialist in person in your nearest city
Talk to a Specialist
Talk to a Specialist
Whisky and Rare Spirits Consigned with Sotheby's
Frequently Asked Questions
- Does Sotheby's sell spirits online?Absolutely. Today’s collectors are in search of fine spirits through live auctions, private sales and online through sothebys.com. When you submit your special whisky, Cognac or other spirits on our website, our specialists will consider it for consignment in both live and online sales. Now is the perfect time to consign rare whisky and spirits to sell for top dollar. In fact, Sotheby’s top 15 spirits since 2010 have achieved an average price of 195 per cent of their low estimates
- May I sell consigned spirits at a Sotheby’s wine auction?Yes, we offer wine and spirits auctions in our three sale locations: London, Hong Kong and New York. Generally speaking, we schedule wine auctions and spirits auctions as separate events, but the two categories are sometimes combined. Learn more about consigning fine wine here. Sotheby’s top-selling spirits typically include vintage bottles of Single Malt Scotch Whisky, Japanese Whisky, Cognac and Kweichow Moutai.
- Which spirits sell for the highest price at auction?The highest value ever achieved any bottle of wine or spirit is £1.5m for the Macallan Fine & Rare 60 Year Old 1926, which sold at Sotheby’s in October 2019 as part of The Ultimate Whisky Collection. This collection sold for a total of £7m, making it the most valuable whisky collection ever sold at auction. Since October 2019, Sotheby’s has set auction records for the most valuable bottles ever released from the following distilleries: The Macallan, Dalmore, Bowmore, Brora, Springbank, Glenfiddich, Maison Gautier, Remy Martin and for Italian independent bottler Silvano Samaroli. In March 2020, one bottle of 52yo Karuizawa 1960 set a new record for the most valuable Japanese whisky when it sold in London for 363,000 GBP.
Sotheby’s Wine is your best resource to buy, consign and sell whisky, Cognac and other old, fine and rare spirits such as single malt or blended whisky, bourbon, Cognac, rum and other fine spirits in a single bottle, a collection of rare spirits, or spirits in a cask or decanter. Particularly collectible are Macallan Fine & Rare, Macallan in Lalique Six Pillars, vintage Bowmore, single cask Yamazaki and Karuizawa whisky.