About the Museum
The Scuola di San Giorgio degli Schiavoni in Venice, northern Italy, was one of the city's historical scuole (confraternity houses) dating to the early 16th century. The building is a former hospital, with architecture designed by Giovanni De Zan and a façade inspired by Jacopo Sansovino.
The interiors of the scuola feature paintings by Vittore Carpaccio, including the seven panels, Stories of the Patron Saints of the Scuola. Externally, over the entrance to the building, is a relief with St. George Killing the Dragon (1552) by Pietro di Salò.
The ground floor of the scuola has several paintings commissioned by Carpacio. The upper hall has a wooden ceiling with painted decorations by Bastian de Muran and, on the walls, other paintings by the Jacopo Palma the Younger school.