About the Museum
Sculpture Center leads the conversation on contemporary art by supporting artistic innovation and independent thought by highlighting sculpture's specific potential to change the way we engage with the world. Positioning artists' work in larger cultural, historical, and aesthetic contexts, Sculpture Center discerns and interprets emerging ideas. Founded by artists in 1928, Sculpture Center provides an international forum that connects artists and audiences by presenting exhibitions, commissioning new work, and generating scholarship.
Sculpture Center has been an active contributor to New York City's cultural community since 1928. Originally founded as "The Clay Club" by Dorothea Denslow, Sculpture Center renamed itself in 1944 and in 1948 moved to a carriage house on East 69th Street in Manhattan. Here it established a ground floor gallery space dedicated solely to sculpture with workshops and studio space on the upper floors. Over the course of the next half-century, as the field of sculpture expanded and evolved, Sculpture Center's exhibition and education programs have as well. In 2001, Sculpture Center purchased a former trolley repair shop in Long Island City, Queens. The building was redesigned by artist and designer Maya Lin, and includes 6,000 square feet of interior exhibition space and a 3,000 square foot outdoor exhibition space. In 2014, the building was expanded and renovated by Andrew Berman Architects.