About the Museum
The Crown Prince and later King Frederick William IV received this Baroque manor house in 1825 from his father as a Christmas present. He commissioned the architect Karl Friedrich Schinkel and the garden designer Peter Joseph Lenné to redesign the property. It was the highlight of their work: a Gesamtkunstwerk of architecture and landscape. In its simple language of forms, the castle is steeped in the spirit of antiquity and influenced by Roman villa buildings. Impressed by the excavations in Pompeii and Herculaneum, Schinkel followed the example of the wall design in these antique houses of wealthy citizens. This corresponds to the Biedermeier design of the bourgeois-seeming interiors, whose furniture Schinkel largely designed himself. Noteworthy is the colorful variety of rooms in terms of material and color.