About the Museum
The National Museum of Modern Art, Tokyo consists of the main building and the Crafts Gallery in Kitanomaru Park near the Imperial Palace, and the National Film Center in Kyobashi near Ginza. It strives to heighten public interest in modern art.It opened in 1952 as the first national art museum in Kyobashi, Chuo Ward. As a long-awaited permanent exhibition facility for contemporary art, the museum started its activities in the former headquarters of Nikkatsu Corporation refurbished by architect MAEKAWA Kunio. Due to the growth of the museum collection and the need for holding larger-scale exhibitions, the museum moved in 1969 to Kitanomaru Koen in Chiyoda Ward, the present address. In 1970 the National Film Center opened in the building in Kyobashi, which was entirely rebuilt in 1995. In 1977 the Crafts Gallery opened in the former headquarters of the Imperial Guards, an Important Cultural Property, in Kitanomaru Koen, leading to the present-day organization of the museum.
Photo: Wikimedia Commons: Kakidai