About the Museum
Located in the valley of the river Inn, amongst the remnants of a medieval monastery and set against the backdrop of alpine mountains, open to the public since 2 January 2019 is MUZEUM SUSCH: a new addition to the matrix of experimentation and novel approaches to art in response to the enchanting surroundings of Engadin. Founded by Grażyna Kulczyk, the Polish entrepreneur and long-term supporter of contemporary art, it is specifically, but not exclusively, informed by a deep understanding of woman artists and seeks an emotional connection to art as a matrilineage of the sometimes omitted, overlooked or misread.
The former vicarage, the hospice and the economic building were part of a rural monastery founded in 1157 after Flüela Pass, on the pilgrim’s path to Rome and Santiago de Compostela. A brewery building was added in the 19th century, situated above a naturally-occurring mountain water source. To house MUZEUM SUSCH, the existing structures were subtly restored and recombined in a complex form, an inspiring environment for artistic production and mediation, a diverse ensemble encouraging exploratory journeys for visitors and introducing spaces for exhibitions and experimental presentations, performances, conference, lectures and events as well as an interdisciplinary residency programme.