About the Museum
Located on one of the world’s most spectacular sites on the edge of Sydney Harbour, the Museum of Contemporary Art opened its doors to the public in November 1991. Established through a bequest by Australian expatriate artist John Power (1881-1943), who left his personal fortune to the University of Sydney to inform and educate Australians about international contemporary visual art, the MCA is dedicated to exhibiting, collecting and interpreting contemporary art. The vision of the founding Director Leon Paroissien and Chief Curator Bernice Murphy was manifest from its earliest years – a commitment to innovative programming with ground-breaking exhibitions of contemporary art from Australia, the Asia Pacific region and around the world. After several phases of expansion throughout a twelve year span, the MCA houses an entire floor dedicated to the MCA Collection, offering a major national resource for education and interpretative programs, as well as two floors of galleries for exhibitions. The National Centre for Creative Learning includes a library, digital and multimedia studios, a seminar room and lecture theatre. The MCA also presents new site-specific commissions.