About the Museum
The Musée Rath, or Rath Museum, is a symbol of Geneva's interest in the arts. A prestigious cultural site, it hosts the major temporary exhibitions of the Museum of Art and History. Alongside the Grand Théâtre and the Conservatoire de musique in Place de Neuve, the Rath is a city historical building since 1921. Opened to the public in 1826 thanks to the generosity of the Rath sisters, it was the first museum of fine arts in Switzerland, conceived from the outset as "a temple of the muses" to welcome and exhibit works.