About the Museum
The Glass House or Johnson house, is a National Trust Historic Site located on Ponus Ridge Road in New Canaan, Connecticut. Built between 1949 and 1995, it was designed by Philip Johnson as his own residence. The pastoral 49-acre landscape comprises fourteen structures, including the Glass House (1949), and features a permanent collection of 20th-century painting and sculpture, accompanied with temporary exhibitions. The building is an essay in minimal structure, geometry, proportion, and the effects of transparency and reflection. The estate includes other buildings designed by Johnson that span his career. It was designated a National Historic Landmark in 1997. It is now owned by the National Trust for Historic Preservation which is a privately funded nonprofit organization that works to save America’s historic places. It is open to the public for guided tours, which begin at a visitors center at 199 Elm Street in New Canaan. Tours of the site are available in May through November and advance reservations are recommended.