Sotheby’s, the oldest and largest internationally recognized firm of fine art auctioneers in the world, has been uniting collectors with world-class works of art since 1744. We will be offering exceptional undergraduate students the opportunity to participate in a unique 10-week paid Summer Internship Program.
Sotheby’s offers selected individuals the opportunity to participate in an internship at our Hong Kong office. The objective of the Sotheby’s Summer Internship Program is to provide practical training experience to students interested in pursuing a career in the fine art and auction world. Internships are available across various business areas. Interns will be assigned a department based on their academic interests and professional goals and will work under the supervision of a designated staff member. Over the course of the summer program, Sotheby’s interns will have the opportunity to learn about the inner workings of a world-renowned auction house, see great rarities and works of art, and discover potential industry careers. In addition, Interns will gain exposure to the business through hands-on learning, executive exposure, team projects and so much more.
Summer Intern Program
- Experience the culture and atmosphere of Sotheby’s by taking on responsibilities of Full-Time employees, working on a variety of projects and making meaningful contributions
- Immersive orientation and training program; learn from our leaders about our culture as well as the benefits and responsibilities of being a Sotheby’s employee
- Continuous on-the-job training and work alongside experienced professionals on meaningful projects throughout the program
Qualifications, Skills & Requirements
- A strong academic record
- Leadership and teamwork experience
- Curiosity and passion for learning
- Demonstrable high EQ, IQ and strong communication skills
- Proficiency in written and verbal Chinese (Mandarin and Cantonese) is preferred
- Applicants must be full time students who are actively enrolled in degree level education, graduating in the Spring of 2023
- Internships are offered in blocks of 1 to 2 months, and candidates must be available on a fulltime basis to commit to this period
- –Internships longer than 2 months require endorsement from candidate’s university indicating that the internship is a compulsory or elective component of the respective undergraduate programme
- –If the internship is NOT a compulsory or elective component of the respective undergraduate programme, applicants must be under the age of 26 years at the beginning of placement
–Only one placement can be undertaken in any one calendar year per applicant in Hong Kong and applicants are required to make a statutory declaration at the Hong Kong Home Affairs Department verifying this fact and provide the declaration to Sotheby’s for record
- Applicants must hold or be able to obtain valid working papers for Hong Kong. Sotheby’s will support the visa application for eligible international students with appropriate prior notice
- The application closes on May 31, 2022
- Our goal is to update candidates approximately one month after the application period concludes
Frequently Asked Questions
I am not available during one month of the suggested dates, can I still apply?
The availability dates are guidelines only. The exact period of the internship will vary depending on the department schedule and your availability.
Can international students apply for the internship at Sotheby’s Hong Kong?
Yes, international students may apply. However, internships of this nature require you to have the right to work in Hong Kong. All our interns are responsible for obtaining their work permit/training visa approved by the Hong Kong Immigration Department in order to take up their internship with Sotheby’s and Sotheby’s will support the visa application for eligible international students.
How do I apply for a Hong Kong training visa?
If you do not have the right to work in Hong Kong, please go to the following website for more information: http://www.immd.gov.hk/eng/services/visas/training.html We are happy to support with the provision of any necessary documents for the selected applicants as needed. A visa application would normal takes 2 months to process and longer during peak season.
Does Sotheby’s offer internships in other offices other than Hong Kong? Internship programmes are available in New York, London, Geneva and Hong Kong. For more information, please refer to the Careers page on Sothebys.com.
Do you offer unpaid work experience for any time period? We are only able to offer internship placements that match our above requirements.
Are high school students or college graduates eligible for the Sotheby’s Hong Kong Internship Programme?
To comply with the legislation, we are only able to offer internship placements to full time students who are actively enrolled in degree level education.
Is this internship paid?
This is an unpaid internship. However, a pro-rated monthly allowance of HK$3,000 will be given in support of transportation expenses.
What if my academic schedule interferes with the start or end date of the summer internship?
Sotheby’s is aware that academic schedules vary and will work with candidates on an individual basis to resolve any conflicts. Once an applicant is accepted into the programme, these details must be discussed with the internship coordinator as soon as the applicant confirms his or her acceptance.
For any additional queries, please contact us at Recruitment.Asia@sothebys.com