A rare late 70s waffle shoe designed specifically for American Football. The iconic waffle was named for the patented waffle iron-like pattern of the rubber outsole which Nike co-founder Bill Bowerman developed after being inspired by his wife’s waffle iron. He tested samples on both runners and football players, as he wanted the sole to be suitable for all different types of turf. The raised grid of polygon nubs increased stabilization with gripping edges that improved traction on multiple surfaces, without the need of metal spikes. Mesh used for the upper created light-weight durability.
- Lightweight white nylon mesh and suede upper with black Swoosh and heel tab with bold Nike lettering.
- Bright blue Spenco sockliner insoles.
- Nike black and orange logo tongue tags.
- Thick white midsoles and waffle outsoles that wrap up to the toe and heel.
- Waffle soles labeled with US patent 3793750 for the waffle nubs on the outsoles.
- Original shoe box included.
- Style Number: 3085
- This piece is final sale and not eligible for return.
Cotton, Rubber, Leather, Mesh
- Gently used.
- Interior tongue foam is in good condition.
- Consistent with signs of age as well as use.