First trade edition of Frankenstein leather-bound with patinated lightning motif.
- Mary Wollstonecraft Shelley (English).
- Illustrations by Barry Moser (American).
- Binding by Karen Hanmer (American).
- Berkeley, CA: University of California Press, 1984.
- 52 original illustrated woodcuts.
- Binding created in 2018 for the Guild of Book Workers 2018-2019 Exhibition Formations.
- Includes the original exhibition catalogue containing a page on Hanmer’s binding and the original dust jacket is bound into the rear.
- Bound in full vellum with a lightning design in pochoir with acrylic derived from Natasha Sinegina (CC-SA4.0), spine has hand-titling in palladium and various shades of gold leaf, and the top edges are decorated with graphite sprinkled with gold and palladium, three-color hand-sewn silk endbands and St. Armand flexi endpapers.
- Housed in a custom linen clamshell box with a leather spine label with gold gilt titling.
Height: 12 inches / 30.48 cm
Width: 9 inches / 22.86 cm
Depth: 1 inches / 2.54 cm
Alchemy, Fine bindings, Illustrated, Thriller