Deluxe signed limited first edition of Bailly's Automata: The Golden Age 1848-1914, an important study of the history of automation devices with detailed chapters on the Paris automata industry and the master automation artists of the time: Theroude, Bontems, Vichy, Roullet & Descamps, Phalibois, Lambert and Renou.
- Christian Bailly (French).
- Hand-painted drawing by Madame Andree Kiefer (French Canadian).
- London: Published for Sotheby's Publications by P. Wilson Publishers; New York, NY: Distributed in the USA by Sotheby's Publications, Harper and Row, 1987.
- 360 pages.
- Includes over 120 pages containing facsimile reproductions of the master automation artists' catalogs, and with a chapter on the technical aspects of automata including mechanisms, musical movements and restoration.
- Limited to 25 copies, this is number 2.
- Inscribed by Philip and Sharon Bailly on the limitation page.
- Included with the book is an original pen, ink and watercolor drawing by Madame Andree Kiefer as stated on the limitation page.
- Bound in full red morocco leather with raised bands on spine with gold gilt titling and decorations, blind-tooled and gilt covers with a rose vine motif surrounding an inlay of an original hand-painted miniature by Madame Andree Kiefer, the back cover features a center gold stamped illustration, marbled endpapers, all edges gilt.
- Housed in the original matching morocco leather edged open-ended slipcase.
Book shows no obvious signs of wear or use.
Some rubbing to the top edge of the leather closure.
Height: 12 inches / 30.48 cm
Width: 10 inches / 25.4 cm
Signed, First Edition
Art, Fine bindings, Drawings and watercolours, Modern first editions