Tableaux et Dessins 1400–1900 incluant les œuvres d’une importante collection privée symboliste

Tableaux et Dessins 1400–1900 incluant les œuvres d’une importante collection privée symboliste

View full screen - View 1 of Lot 39. The Punta Della Dogana from the Ca'Giustinian | La Punta della Dogana vue depuis la Ca'Giustinian.

Property from an Important Private Collection | Provenant d'une importante collection particulière

Michele Marieschi

The Punta Della Dogana from the Ca'Giustinian | La Punta della Dogana vue depuis la Ca'Giustinian

Auction is live

Lot closed

Estimate

200,000 - 300,000 EUR

Lot Sold

204,000 EUR

Lot Details

Description

Property from an Important Private Collection


Michele Marieschi

Venice 1710 - 1743

The Punta Della Dogana from the Ca'Giustinian, Looking South Across the Bacino Di San Marco Towards the Church of San Giorgio Maggiore


Oil on canvas

62,4 x 98,6 cm ; 24½ by 38⅞ in.

____________________________________________


Provenant d'une importante collection particulière


Michele Marieschi

Venise 1710 - 1743

La Punta della Dogana vue depuis la Ca'Giustinian


Huile sur toile

62,4 x 98,6 cm ; 24½ by 38⅞ in.

Maller (according to Succi and Manzelli, see Literature) or Moller (according to Montecuccoli degli Erri and Pedrocco) Collection, Paris (probably by the early 1930s);

Galerie Sanct Lucas, Vienna;

From whence acquired in December 1937 by Heinrich Graf, Vienna;

Confiscated from the above by the Gestapo on 16 November 1940 while in storage at the shippers Schenker & Co.;

Believed auctioned with other Heinrich Graf property in Vienna after 1940;

With H.J. Spiller, London by 1952;

From whom acquired by Edward Speelman, London;

From whom acquired in 1953 by a private collector;

A gift from the above to a private collector;

By whom anonymously sold ("In Pursuant to a Settlement Agreement between the Current Owner and the Heirs of Heinrich Graf"), New York, Sotheby's, 30 January 2019, lot 77;

There acquired.

____________________________________________


Collection Maller (selon Succi et Manzelli, voir Bibliographie) ou Moller (selon Montecuccoli degli Erri et Pedrocco), Paris (probablement au début des années 1930) ;

Galerie Sanct Lucas, Vienne ;

Où acquis en décembre 1937 par Heinrich Graf, Vienne ;

A qui confisqué par la Gestapo le 16 novembre 1940, dans l'entrepôt des transporteurs Schenker & Co. ;

Probablement vendu aux enchères avec d'autres biens appartenant à Heinrich Graf à Vienne après 1940 ;

Galerie H.J. Spiller, Londres, en 1952 ;

Auprès de qui acquis par Edward Speelman, Londres ;

Auprès de qui acquis par un collectionneur particulier, en 1953 ;

Offert par le précédent à un collectionneur particulier ;

Par qui vendu (In Pursuant to a Settlement Agreement between the Current Owner and the Heirs of Heinrich Graf), Sotheby's, New York, 30 janvier 2019, lot 77 ;

Où acquis par l'actuel propriétaire.

D. Succi, Marieschi. Tra Canaletto e Guardi, exh.cat., Castello di Gorizia 1989, p. 137 and 140, fig. 155;

M. Manzelli, Michele Marieschi e il suo alter-ego Francesco Albotto, Venice 1991, p. 60, cat. no. M.31.1, repr.;

F. Montecuccoli degli Erri and F. Pedrocco, Michele Marieschi. La Vita, l’Ambiente, l’Opera, Milan 1999, p. 385, cat. no. 157, repr.

____________________________________________


D. Succi, Marieschi. Tra Canaletto e Guardi, cat. exp., Castello di Gorizia, 1989, p. 137 et 140, fig. 155 ;

M. Manzelli, Michele Marieschi e il suo alter-ego Francesco Albotto, Venise, 1991, p. 60, cat. n° M.31.1, repr. ;

F. Montecuccoli degli Erri et F. Pedrocco, Michele Marieschi. La Vita, l’Ambiente, l’Opera, Milan, 1999, p. 385, cat. n° 157, repr.

This imposing view of the Punta della Dogana from the north bank of the Grand Canal at the point where it opens out, painted from the steps of the Ca' Giustinian, is a particularly rare representation of Venice and the only example of this viewpoint in Marieschi’s work.


Little is known about Marieschi’s early training. He probably began his artistic career as a scene painter and went on to produce capricci, like Luca Carlevarijs (1663–1730) and Marco Ricci (1676–1730) but Canaletto’s success as a painter of vedute encouraged Marieschi to devote himself to this genre, which brought him lasting success. Marieschi’s talent is expressed in his dramatic and dynamic compositions, his exaggerated perspectives and his atmospheric colour, astutely distinguishing him from his peers. He often asked specialized figure painters such as Francesco Simonini (1686–c.1755) and Giovanni Antonio Guardi (1699–1760) to assist with enhancing some of his works. Marieschi produced his first vedute in 1736 for Johann Matthias, Graf von der Schulenburg (1661–1747). He then made a series of six paintings for the Sanssouci Palace at Potsdam in 1738. In 1741, he completed a series of twenty-one etchings with views of Venice, whose dissemination contributed to his fame.


Marieschi demonstrates his unique style in this unusual and spectacular view, with a light, rapid brushstroke, a rich palette and shimmering light effects. The painting is dated by Succi to around 1736–40, but by Pedrocco and Montecuccoli degli Erri to about 1740–41. There are many views of the Dogana towards the south-west, in the direction of the Giudecca, but San Giorgio is often excluded, being too far east. Meanwhile, views of the island of San Giorgio on its own are common. It is remarkable that despite the countless vedute painted in Venice in the eighteenth century, there is only one known work by Canaletto seen from the same viewpoint as here, but closer – and there are no examples of this view at all among works by Guardi. The view highlights two of Venice’s principal monuments, the Punta della Dogana and the Palladian masterpiece San Giorgio Maggiore, as well as the expanse of the Bacino di San Marco. The artist adroitly balances the peaceful sweep of architecture with the lively gondolas passing each other near the quayside. It is impossible not to admire this precise understanding of composition, the essence of Marieschi’s talent, which has been at the root of his success right up to the present day.

 

A note on provenance

 Originally bought by Heinrich (Heinz) and Anna Maria (Anny) Graf in December 1937 from the Galerie Sanct Lucas in Vienna, the painting was displayed in the family’s Viennese apartment – a centrepiece of their small but refined collection. In March 1938, when Austria was annexed by Germany, the family’s life was thrown into chaos. After Heinz was driven away from his work and threatened by the growing tensions of a dictatorial regime, he and his young family were compelled to flee from their home. In anticipation of forced emigration, which was by then intensifying in Vienna, all the Grafs’ belongings were placed in storage, so that they could be sent on once the family was settled in a new home. After paying the very high ‘emigration tax’ demanded by the Germans, the Graf family went first to Italy and then, a few months later, to France, where they were joined by their two grand-mothers in Quillan, a small town in the foothills of the Pyrenees.


After war broke out in 1939, Heinz was imprisoned in the notorious Gurs camp in south-west France, where Jews who did not have French nationality were interned. Anny worked desperately to bring about her husband’s liberation (she too was briefly interned) and finally managed to obtain visas for the USA for all members of the family except one. Obliged by the conditions of his liberation from the Gurs camp to leave the country immediately, Heinz had to leave his family behind and travelled alone to Portugal. The family was finally reunited in Lisbon months later and sailed together to the USA, arriving in New York on 26 May 1941.

The family settled in Queens and rebuilt their life. Heinz, who had become ‘Henry’, found employment as an investment banker. Trying to recover the belongings that they had stored with Schenker in Vienna, Henry and Anny embarked on a long correspondence with the American occupation forces in Germany, but in vain. It was later established that their belongings, including the present Marieschi and portraits of Anny’s parents by Umberto Veruda, had been seized by the Nazi regime on 16 November 1940 from the Schenker warehouse and subsequently sold. Despite years of research, all efforts to trace their belongings failed and Henry and Anny died without ever seeing their paintings again.


Luckily, Henry had kept a professional photograph of the painting dating to the time when he bought it at the Galerie Sanct Lucas. This photograph enabled his daughters to continue the search. The painting was rediscovered nearly fifteen years ago: nearly eighty years after Henry and Anny Graf saw it for the last time, an agreement was signed in December 2016 between the heirs of the Graf family and the present owners.


Before being bought by the Galerie Sanct Lucas, the painting had belonged to a Parisian named ‘Moller’ or ‘Maller’ (see Provenance). The Sanct Lucas photograph in the Witt Library, London, confirms the work’s Paris provenance. Manzelli (see Literature) describes the painting as belonging to the ‘Maller Collection’ and gives a date of 1938 which is slightly too late, given that the painting was sold to the Galerie Sanct Lucas in late 1937.

____________________________________________


Cette magistrale vue de la Punta della Dogana depuis la rive nord de l'ouverture du Grand Canal, depuis les marches de Ca' Giustinian est une représentation particulièrement rare de Venise et le seul exemple de ce point de vue dans l'œuvre de Marieschi.


On sait peu de choses sur la formation initiale de Marieschi, il a probablement commencé sa carrière artistique comme scénographe puis en réalisant des capricci à l’instar de Luca Carlevarijs (1663-1730) ou encore Marco Ricci (1676-1730) mais le succès de Canaletto avec la peinture de vedute a encouragé Marieschi à se consacrer à ce genre qui a fait son succès jusqu’à aujourd’hui. Grâce à ses compositions théâtrales et dynamiques, ses perspectives exagérées et ses couleurs atmosphériques, Marieschi révèle son talent et se distingue habilement de ses contemporains. Il demandait d’ailleurs souvent à des peintres de figures spécialisés comme Francesco Simonini (1686-vers 1755) ou Giovanni Antonio Guardi (1699-1760), de lui prêter main forte pour rehausser plusieurs de ses œuvres. Marieschi réalise ses premières vedute en 1736 pour Johann Matthias, Graf von der Schulenburg (1661-1747). Il réalise ensuite une série de six tableaux pour le palais de Sanssouci, à Potsdam en 1738. En 1741, il achève une série de vingt-et-une eaux-fortes représentant des vues de Venise dont la diffusion contribue à sa notoriété.


Avec cette vue rare et spectaculaire que Succi date vers 1736-40 tandis que Pedrocco et Montecuccoli degli Erri datent plutôt vers 1740-41, Marieschi déploie son style unique. L’on retrouve son coup de pinceau rapide et léger, la richesse de sa palette et les effets chatoyants de la lumière. Les vues de la Dogana vers le sud-ouest, en direction de la Giudecca, sont nombreuses, mais San Giorgio, trop à l'est, en est souvent exclue. Les vues de l'île de San Giorgio seule sont quant à elles courantes. Il est remarquable que malgré les innombrables vedute peintes à Venise au XVIIIe on ne connaisse qu’une œuvre de Canaletto prise du même point de vue que celui présenté ici et de plus près. Cette vue n'apparaît par exemple jamais dans l'œuvre de Guardi. L’on retrouve deux des principaux monuments de Venise, la Punta della Dogana et le chef-d'œuvre palladien de San Giorgio Maggiore, ainsi que l'étendue du Bacino di San Marco. L’artiste contrebalance intelligemment l’étendue architecturale paisible avec l’effervescence des nombreuses gondoles se croisant près du quai. L’on reste admiratif devant cette science de la composition, sel du talent de Marieschi qui a fait son succès jusqu’à aujourd’hui.

 

Note sur la provenance

Acquis à l'origine par Heinrich (Heinz) et Anna Maria (Anny) Graf en décembre 1937 à la Galerie Sanct Lucas à Vienne, le tableau était accroché dans l'appartement viennois de la famille - une pièce maîtresse de leur collection, petite mais raffinée. En mars 1938, l'annexion de l'Autriche par l'Allemagne bouleverse la vie de la famille. Chassé de son travail et menacé par les tensions croissantes d'un régime dictatorial, Heinz et sa jeune famille sont contraints de fuir leur maison. En prévision de l'émigration forcée, qui était alors devenue monnaie courante à Vienne, tous les biens des Graf ont été entreposés, afin d'être expédiés une fois que la famille se serait installée dans une nouvelle maison. Après avoir payé l'importante « taxe de sortie » exigée par les Allemands, les Graf se sont d'abord rendus en Italie, puis, quelques mois plus tard, en France, où ils ont été rejoints par leurs deux grands-mères à Quillan, une petite ville située au pied des Pyrénées.


Après l'éclatement de la guerre en 1939, Heinz a été enfermé dans le tristement célèbre camp de Gurs, dans le sud-ouest de la France, où étaient internés les Juifs de nationalité non française. Anny a travaillé désespérément pour obtenir la libération de son mari (elle aussi a été internée pendant une courte période), et a finalement réussi à obtenir des visas pour les États-Unis pour tous les membres de la famille sauf un. Obligé par les conditions de sa libération du camp de Gurs de quitter le pays immédiatement, Heinz a été contraint de laisser sa famille derrière lui et de voyager seul jusqu'au Portugal. La famille s'est finalement réunie à Lisbonne des mois plus tard, naviguant ensemble vers les États-Unis et atteignant New York le 26 mai 1941.

S'installant dans le Queens, la famille refait sa vie, Heinz, devenu "Henry", retrouve un emploi de banquier d'affaires. Pour tenter de récupérer les biens qu'ils avaient entreposés chez Schenker à Vienne, Henry et Anny ont entamé une longue correspondance avec les forces d'occupation américaines en Allemagne, mais en vain. Il s'est avéré par la suite que leurs biens, y compris ce Marieschi et les portraits des parents d'Anny par Umberto Veruda, avaient été saisis par le régime nazi le 16 novembre 1940 dans l'entrepôt de Schenker et vendus par la suite. Malgré des années de recherches, tous les efforts pour retrouver leurs biens ont échoué, et Henry et Anny sont décédés sans jamais avoir revu leurs peintures.


Heureusement, Henry avait conservé une photographie professionnelle du tableau datant de l'époque où il l'avait acquis à la Galerie Sanct Lucas. Cette photographie a permis à ses filles de poursuivre les recherches. Après la découverte du tableau il y a près de quinze ans, et près de quatre-vingts ans après qu'Henry et Anny Graf ont vu le tableau pour la dernière fois, un accord entre les héritiers de la famille Graf et les propriétaires actuels a été conclu en décembre 2016.


Avant d'être acquis par la Galerie Sanct Lucas, le tableau avait appartenu à un Parisien nommé "Moller" ou "Maller" (voir Provenance). La photographie de Sanct Lucas conservée à la Witt Library de Londres confirme la provenance parisienne de l'œuvre. Manzelli (voir Littérature) cite le tableau comme appartenant à la « Collezione Maller » et donne une date de 1938 qui, étant donné que le tableau avait été vendu à la Galerie Sanct Lucas à la fin de l'année 1937, est légèrement dépassée.