December 15, 09:26 PM GMT
40,000 - 60,000 USD
An Italian Baroque Carved Giltwood Circumcision Chair, Marches region, possibly Ancona, late 17th - early 18th century
deeply carved with running acanthus, the back with openwork cresting centered by a shell, the sides with giltwood stars, the back with traces of earlier finish above later cut-velvet upholstery
Height overall 62 in. (157.5 cm)
This chair was owned by a family in Loreto, but that town did not have a significant Jewish population, suggesting this chair originated elsewhere. The nearest large community was Ancona, and several details of the chair - particularly the large central shell - recall the giltwood Ark from the Italian Synagogue, Ancona, which was demolished in 1932 (the Ark was moved to the basement of the Levantine Synagogue).
The turn of the 18th century was a time of prosperity for the Jews of the Marches, with corresponding improvements to their buildings. In 1708, the workshop of Angelo Scoccianti made a new giltwood Ark and balustrade for the Spanish Synagogue of Pesaro (now in the Liverno Synagogue and the Levantine Synagogue, Ancona, respectively).
A Northern Italian giltwood "Armchair of Elijah," circa 1700, of similar proportions, was in the Furman Collection, p. 222.