A pair of George III silver ewers, Peter Podio, London, 1793
25,000 - 35,000 GBP
What is guaranteed?
An Important English Private Collection
A pair of George III silver ewers, Peter Podio, London, 1793
The baluster bodies with rising stiff leaf ornament and a band of scrolling foliage near the lip, the handle with rope-twist spine and hanging bead attachment, the base with acanthus leaf chasing, engraved with a coat-of-arms (azure, a chevron argent between three plates)
40.5cm.; 16in. high
3810gr.; 122 1/2oz.
To request a Condition Report, please contact Christian.Billinghurst@sothebys.com
Please note that Condition 12 of the Conditions of Business for Buyers (Online Only) is not applicable to this lot.
The lot is sold in the condition it is in at the time of sale. The condition report is provided to assist you with assessing the condition of the lot and is for guidance only. Any reference to condition in the condition report for the lot does not amount to a full description of condition. The images of the lot form part of the condition report for the lot. Certain images of the lot provided online may not accurately reflect the actual condition of the lot. In particular, the online images may represent colors and shades which are different to the lot's actual color and shades. The condition report for the lot may make reference to particular imperfections of the lot but you should note that the lot may have other faults not expressly referred to in the condition report for the lot or shown in the online images of the lot. The condition report may not refer to all faults, restoration, alteration or adaptation. The condition report is a statement of opinion only. For that reason, the condition report is not an alternative to taking your own professional advice regarding the condition of the lot. NOTWITHSTANDING THIS ONLINE CONDITION REPORT OR ANY DISCUSSIONS CONCERNING A LOT, ALL LOTS ARE OFFERED AND SOLD "AS IS" IN ACCORDANCE WITH THE CONDITIONS OF SALE/BUSINESS APPLICABLE TO THE RESPECTIVE SALE.
Peter Podio entered his first mark in partnership with Abraham Peterson on 1 May 1783, giving their address as 23 Primrose Hill, Salisbury Square, Fleet Street.1 The fact that he was one of the witnesses at Peterson’s marriage with Elizabeth Alsop at St. James’s, Piccadilly on 23 September 1770 (when he signed the register ‘Pieter Podio’) suggests that he was in London well over a decade before 1783.
Furthermore, Podio (‘Piter Podio'), married Hannah Alsop at St. James’s, Piccadilly on 3 April 1774, which poses the possibility that he and Peterson were brothers-in-law. A clue to Podio’s origins – perhaps a native of Italy - is suggested by the following advertisement which appeared in The Public Advertiser in January 1774.2
‘WHEREAS DOMINICK PODIO, Native of Turin, Working Silversmith, did on Friday 14th Instant, carry off near Two Hundred Ounces of Silver, from the Dwelling-house of Mr. Henry Morris,3 No. 82, Fleet-street, and on Sunday the 16th, set off in a Post Chaise from the Plow-Inn, Prince’s-street, Piccadilly, for Dover.
‘Whoever will apprehend the said Dominick Podio shall on Conviction receive from Mr. Morris Ten Guineas Reward.
‘N.B. He is of a dark Complexion, wears his own black Hair, about five Feet eight Inches high, and aged between Thirty and Forty, had on when he set off an orange Colour Suit of Cloaths, and a brown Bath Beaver Great Coat, with a Crimson and Velvet Collar.’
Although no further information has as yet come to light about this Dominick, it is likely that he and Peter Podio were kinsmen.
Peter and Hannah Podio went on to have six children, the first three of whom were baptised at St. Martin in the Fields: Joseph Felix Podio,4 born 10 January 1775, baptised 19 January 1775; Peter Edward Podio, born 11 November 1776, baptised 8 December 1776; and John Jacob Podio, born 7 July 1778, baptised 2 August 1778. Their fourth child, Anna Maria Podio, was baptised at St. Mary, Lambeth on 10 April 1785.
Peterson and Podio were still in partnership in the Spring of 1788 but appear to have dissolved their arrangement soon afterwards.5
‘Tuesday evening about ten o’clock, an attempt was made to rob the dwelling-house of Messrs. Peterson and Podio, silversmiths, Primrose-hill, Salisbury-court, by two fellows with dark lanterns, who had contrived to get on the top of the house, and endeavoured to force their way through a casement window; but being luckily seen by some of the neighbours who happened to be looking out of their windows, an alarm was given, and the rascals, though immediately and narrowly sought after, found means to make their escape.’6
Podio’s second mark was entered alone on 12 February 1790, giving his address as King Edward Street, Bridewell Precinct.7 Two other children were born to Peter and Hannah Podio, both of whom were baptised at Bridewell Chapel in the City of London: Francis Charles Podio, born January (1788), baptised 11 February 1788; and Thomas Frederick Podio, born 16 August 1788, baptised 14 September 1788.
By the summer of 1799 Podio had moved to 23 Kirby Street, Hatton Garden, when his wife, Hannah died; she was buried on 17 June at St. Andrew, Holborn. This move to Hatton Garden is confirmed by Holden’s Triennial Directory, 1805-1807, in which Podio is described as a silversmith of 23 Kirby Street. This is the last mention of Peter Podio, unless the ‘Mr. Podio’ who was buried at St. Dunstan and All Saints, Stepney, on 26 March 1817, was he.
1. Grimwade, pp. 621 and 629
2. The Public Advertiser, London, Saturday, 22 January 1774, p. 4b
3. Grimwade, p. 601
4. Grimwade, pp. 628 and 629. His will was signed 14 May 1833, proved 21 June 1833 (National Archives, Kew, PROB 11/1818)
5. For further information about Peterson, see Grimwade, p. 621. He married his second wife, Mary Riggs, at St. Olave, Hart Street, City of London on 8 February 1798. He eventually moved to Horse Shoe Court (adjacent to part of the premises of Rundell, Bridge & Rundell), Ludgate Hill, where he died in 1812 (will signed 24 October 1808, proved 18 July 1812, National Archives, Kew, PROB 11/1535). Local rate books for the ward of Farringdon Without (which included Horse Shoe Court) show that he was replaced in 1813 by Ann Peterson who in turn was replaced in 1821 by ‘Mary Peterson (Abm. Peterson),’ latterly ‘Mary Patterson.’ By 1835, when Horse Shoe Court had been renamed Naked Boy Court, Mary Patterson’s property was described as empty.
6. The Morning Chronicle and London Advertiser, London, Wednesday, 28 May 1788, p. 4a
7. Grimwade, p. 629