A Victorian 'Easter bunny' novelty silver pepper shaker, Saunders & Shepherd, London 1890
A Victorian 'Easter bunny' novelty silver pepper shaker
Saunders & Shepherd, London
Realistically modelled as a rabbit or hare, with fur-effect chasing and pierced pull-off head
6cm.; 2¼in. high
Both sections clearly hallmarked. Good overall condition.
The lot is sold in the condition it is in at the time of sale. The condition report is provided to assist you with assessing the condition of the lot and is for guidance only. Any reference to condition in the condition report for the lot does not amount to a full description of condition. The images of the lot form part of the condition report for the lot. Certain images of the lot provided online may not accurately reflect the actual condition of the lot. In particular, the online images may represent colors and shades which are different to the lot's actual color and shades. The condition report for the lot may make reference to particular imperfections of the lot but you should note that the lot may have other faults not expressly referred to in the condition report for the lot or shown in the online images of the lot. The condition report may not refer to all faults, restoration, alteration or adaptation. The condition report is a statement of opinion only. For that reason, the condition report is not an alternative to taking your own professional advice regarding the condition of the lot. NOTWITHSTANDING THIS ONLINE CONDITION REPORT OR ANY DISCUSSIONS CONCERNING A LOT, ALL LOTS ARE OFFERED AND SOLD "AS IS" IN ACCORDANCE WITH THE CONDITIONS OF SALE/BUSINESS APPLICABLE TO THE RESPECTIVE SALE.
Saunders & Shepherd, well-known manufacturing wholesalers of jewellery and smallwork in gold and silver, novelties, souvenirs, &c., was established in 1869 by Cornelius Desormeaux Saunders (1824-1890), an accountant and formerly Clerk to the Imperial Gas Light and Coke Co., and James Francis Hollings ‘Frank’ Shepherd (1844-1925), formerly representing the Whitby Jet department of Buller & Hutchinson, manufacturing and wholesale jewellers of Bartlett’s Buildings, Holborn, London. Saunders and Shepherd began at the same location by acquiring Buller & Hitchinson’s jet stock and clients. At the International Exhibition in London in 1872, Saunders & Shepherd contributed ‘some tenderly-executed specimens of carved jet, with added ivy leaves in gold, which cannot but be generally and justly admired.’ (Journal of the Society of Arts, London, 4 October 1872, p. 880a)
Thereafter Saunders & Shepherd’s expansion was rapid and successful. By 1880 they were advertised as ‘silver jewellers, manufactures in gold and silver (no plated goods) of brooches, earring, chains, swivels, lockets and necklets, pendants, solitaires, studs, sleeve links, charms, thimbles, filigree.’ The firm was converted into a limited liability company as Saunders & Shepherd Ltd. in 1899. Further expansion necessitated the building of a new factory in Fetter Lane, London, erected in 1905/06. In 1909 a branch business, Saunders & Shepherd (Birmingham) Ltd., opened a factory at 94 Vyse Street. The company was re-registered in 1916 and was dissolved in November 2021.
Among Saunders & Shepherd’s most successful productions were replicas in silver-gilt and silver of the 12th century Coronation Spoon and the late 13th century Coronation Chair (King Edward’s Chair). These were introduced in 1902 at the time of the Coronation of King Edward VII and Queen Alexandra. Thirty-thousand replicas of the spoon were made in five sizes, from three to nine inches long; and ten-thousand chairs.