The present pair of saints was once among a large number of small panels with saints that adorned the lateral buttresses of a major altarpiece, though the original setting has not been identified. Miklós Boskovits attributed the saints to the Workshop of Andrea di Bartolo at the time of the 2009 sale, but the following year, Laurence Kanter published them as the work of Andrea himself and dated them to circa 1390 - 1400 (see Literature). Andrea belonged to a large family of artists that included his grandfather, a gilder, his father Bartolo di Fredi, the prolific Siense artist, and his sons Giorgio and Sano, who were also painters. In the last years of the fourteenth century, Andrea participated in large projects in the Veneto and in Tuscany, and also worked as a miniature painter and book illustrator. The present panels exhibit his early-career style, which featured compact figures and a bold color palette, in contrast to the increasingly elongated figures he would later paint.