View full screen - View 1 of Lot 170. A PORCELAIN PLATE FROM THE DOWRY SERVICE OF GRAND DUCHESS ALEXANDRA PAVLOVNA, IMPERIAL PORCELAIN FACTORY, ST PETERSBURG, PERIOD OF CATHERINE II (1762-1796).
170

A PORCELAIN PLATE FROM THE DOWRY SERVICE OF GRAND DUCHESS ALEXANDRA PAVLOVNA, IMPERIAL PORCELAIN FACTORY, ST PETERSBURG, PERIOD OF CATHERINE II (1762-1796)

Estimate:

6,000 to - 8,000 GBP

A PORCELAIN PLATE FROM THE DOWRY SERVICE OF GRAND DUCHESS ALEXANDRA PAVLOVNA, IMPERIAL PORCELAIN FACTORY, ST PETERSBURG, PERIOD OF CATHERINE II (1762-1796)

A PORCELAIN PLATE FROM THE DOWRY SERVICE OF GRAND DUCHESS ALEXANDRA PAVLOVNA, IMPERIAL PORCELAIN FACTORY, ST PETERSBURG, PERIOD OF CATHERINE II (1762-1796)

Estimate:

6,000 to - 8,000 GBP

Lot sold:

12,500

GBP

A PORCELAIN PLATE FROM THE DOWRY SERVICE OF GRAND DUCHESS ALEXANDRA PAVLOVNA, IMPERIAL PORCELAIN FACTORY, ST PETERSBURG, PERIOD OF CATHERINE II (1762-1796)


gilt scalloped rim, the cavetto painted with a view of the Tomb of Caecilia Metella, the border with a chain of pink rose blossoms and buds against a gilt ground, titled on the reverse: ‘Sepulchre de Cecile Mettela’, with blue Imperial cypher of Catherine II

diameter 24.8cm, 9¾in.


To view Shipping Calculator, please click here

To request a Condition Report, please contact Helen.CulverSmith@sothebys.com

Like the Cabinet Service which served as a model, the Dowry services for the granddaughters of Catherine the Great are decorated with bands of flowers and centered with Italianate scenes copied from grand illustrated sources such as Della Magnificenze di Roma antika e moderna. Da Giuseppe Vasi da Corleone (Rome, 1764) and Antichita Romane opera di Giambatista Piranesi (Rome, 1756). 


The service for Grand Duchess Alexandra Pavlovna (1783-1801) was the first of the Dowry services and was already completed in 1796, well before her marriage to Joseph, Archduke of Austria and Palatine of Hungary (1776-1846) in 1799. Sadly, her life was cut short prematurely when she died of peurpural fever shortly after giving birth to a stillborn daughter in March 1801. Joseph donated a great portion of her dowry to the Museum of Applied Arts in Budapest and the largest group of objects from this important service remains in that museum. On the service, see K. Tasnàdi-Marik, 'Russkii farfor v Muzee prikladnogo iskusstva v Budapeshte,' Acta historiae artium Academiae scientiarum hungaricae, 1954, pp. 81-98 and T. Kudriavtseva, Russian Imperial Porcelain, St. Petersburg, 2003, p. 68.