Magnificent Jewels and Noble Jewels

Magnificent Jewels and Noble Jewels

View full screen - View 1 of Lot 198. ATTRIBUTED TO CARTIER [傳為卡地亞製] | PAIR OF SUPERB NATURAL PEARL AND DIAMOND EARRINGS, 1930S [天然珍珠配鑽石耳環一對,1930年代].

Property of the Earl of Haddington [哈丁頓伯爵收藏]

ATTRIBUTED TO CARTIER [傳為卡地亞製] | PAIR OF SUPERB NATURAL PEARL AND DIAMOND EARRINGS, 1930S [天然珍珠配鑽石耳環一對,1930年代]

Auction Closed

November 11, 08:35 PM GMT

Estimate

75,000 - 110,000 CHF

Lot Details

Description

Property of the Earl of Haddington

[哈丁頓伯爵收藏]


ATTRIBUTED TO CARTIER

PAIR OF SUPERB NATURAL PEARL AND DIAMOND EARRINGS, 1930S

[傳為卡地亞製]

[天然珍珠配鑽石耳環一對,1930年代]


Each composed of a foliate surmount set with circular-cut and cushion-shaped diamonds, supporting a drop shaped natural pearl measuring approximately 10.30 x 10.40 x 13.50mm and 10.60 x 10.70 x 13.50mm respectively, later hook fittings, unsigned, fitted case stamped Cartier.


Accompanied by a gemmological report; together with an SSEF report. 

Accompanied by SSEF report no. 114993, stating that the pearls were found to be natural, saltwater.

Accompanied by SSEF report no. 114993, stating that the pearls were found to be natural, saltwater.

This beautifully matched pair of natural pearls, set in a glittering pair of diamond earrings attributed to Cartier, come from the collection of Sarah Baillie-Hamilton, born Sarah Cook (1903-1995). Born in Montreal in 1903, she met George, the 12th Earl of Haddington when he was working as an aide-de-camp to the Governer-General of Canada. The couple married in 1923, settling down in Scotland at the family seat at Mellerstain. Lady Haddington opened the family home as an emergency military hospital during the war, and was fondly remembered by the injured soldiers who recovered there for the kindness she showed to them. Her dedication to the injured troops carried into the post-war years, and she tirelessly raised funds for the Scottish National Institution for the War Blinded at Lindburn. In addition to her many contributions during the war, Lady Haddington was also a very talented gardener, as evidenced by the gardens she created at Tyninghame House, near Haddington in East Lothian, and a classically-trained pianist. Her love and natural gift for music (her tastes ranged from Chopin to Rod Stewart) drew her into managing the first Edinburgh International Festival in 1947, which she helped guide for 14 years.