80,000 - 120,000 USD
1902 - 1984
(New York: Parasol Press, 1976, a total edition of 115), a portfolio of 11 gelatin silver prints and one unique Polaroid Type 52/Polapan print, the gelatin silver prints mounted, signed and with sequential numbers and edition '21/115' in pencil on the mount, the portfolio stamp on the reverse, the Polaroid print signed in pencil in the margin, matted, signed and with sequential number and edition '21/115' in pencil on the overmat, the portfolio stamps, with title and date in ink, on the reverse of the mat, each framed, 1932-75, printed in 1976; together with printed title, plate list, colophon, dedication to David Hunter McAlpin, foreword by Adams, and 'Important Note.' Elephant folio, beige linen clamshell box
'Aspens' (oversized): 22 5/8 by 17 7/8 in. (57.5 by 45.4 cm.)
the remaining 10 gelatin silver prints: approximately 19 1/2 by 15 1/2 in. (49.5 by 39.4 cm.) or the reverse
Polaroid print: 3 1/2 by 4 1/2 in. (8.9 by 11.4 cm.)
frames: the largest 33 1/2 by 37 1/2 in. (85.1 by 95.3 cm.)
This portfolio was issued in an edition of 100, plus 15 lettered copies. The following are visible on some of the prints upon close inspection in raking light: deposits original retouching; occasional faint scuffs; and tiny impressions.
Additional notes, are as follows:
1. White Branches, Mono Lake, California: 19 1/2 by 15 1/8 in.
2. Arches, North Court, Mission San Xavier del Bac, Tucson, Arizona: 15 3/8 by 19 1/2 in.
3. Boards and Thistles, San Francisco, California: 19 3/8 by 15 1/2 in.
4. Tree, Stump and Mist, Northern Cascades, Washington: 15 1/2 by 19 1/8 in.
5. Gerry Sharpe, Ouray, Colorado: 19 1/4 by 15 3/4 in.
6. Aspens, Northern New Mexico: 22 5/8 by 17 7/8 in.
7. Interior of Tumacacori Mission, Arizona: 19 1/2 by 15 3/8 in.
8. Cemetery Statue and Oil Derricks, Long Beach, California: 15 1/4 by 18 3/8 in.
9. Half Dome, Blowing Snow, Yosemite National Park, California: 15 1/2 by 19 3/8 in.
10. El Capitan, Sunrise, Winter, Yosemite National Park, California: 19 1/4 by 15 3/8 in.
11. Sunrise, Mount Tom, Sierra Nevada, California: 15 1/2 by 19 1/8 in.
12. Water and Rock, Merced River, Yosemite National Park, California (Polaroid): As is typical of Polaroid print, there is minor pitting and fingerprints at the edges and in the margins.
The clamshell box is in generally excellent condition. There is very minor wear to the edges, and 2 small impressions on the front cover of the clamshell box. There are a few handling creases to the printed front matter.
In response to your inquiry, we are pleased to provide you with a general report of the condition of the property described above. Since we are not professional conservators or restorers, we urge you to consult with a restorer or conservator of your choice who will be better able to provide a detailed, professional report. Prospective buyers should inspect each lot to satisfy themselves as to condition and must understand that any statement made by Sotheby's is merely a subjective qualified opinion.
NOTWITHSTANDING THIS REPORT OR ANY DISCUSSIONS CONCERNING CONDITION OF A LOT, ALL LOTS ARE OFFERED AND SOLD "AS IS" IN ACCORDANCE WITH THE CONDITIONS OF SALE PRINTED IN THE CATALOGUE.
Modena, Fondazione Cassa de Risparmio de Modena, Ansel Adams La Natura è il mio Regno, September 2011 – January 2012
CEMETERY STATUE AND OIL DERRICKS:
Lubbock, Texas Tech University, Ansel Adams: American Master, Selections from the David H. Arrington Collection, August 2015 – January 2016