THREE NANTGARW PLATES, CIRCA 1820
of MacKintosh service type, each painted in London with a vignette of a bird below borders of flower sprays within gilt shell reserves, impressed Nant-garw C.W.
24.5cm. diameter; 9½in.
Ellen Willmott (1858-1934);
her sale, Warley Place, Great Warley, 30 May-5 June 1935, three from a set of four offered as either lot 1369 through to 1373;
acquired by her nephew Robert George Berkeley (1898-1969);
Inventory, 1949, 'Three Nantagarw plates, with gilt shell and flower borders, the centres painted with game birds; impressed mark' in the Drawing Room
See W. D. John, The Nantgarw Porcelain Album, Newport, 1975, illustrations 19 and 33 for examples of this pattern. The present three plates were probably part of a service in the possession of the Priest Richards family of the Cotterell residence, St. Nicholas, near Cowbridge, Glamorgan. The service went to Ella Priest Richards on the occasion of her marriage to The Mackintosh of Mackintosh of Moy Hall, Inverness in 1880 but had been dispersed by about 1900. This service and similar contemporary sets were almost certainly retailed by Mortlocks and decorated in the London studio of Robbins and Randall.