A PARCEL-GILT SILVER SCULPTURAL RELIQUARY UNMARKED, PROBABLY ITALIAN, MID-18TH CENTURY
containing a relic of Saint Romuald, Abbot of Saint’Appollinare in Classe, modelled as two females, one reclining on books rising to shaped rectangular section applied with cherubs masks and centred by the glazed panel containing the holy relic on a silver-gilt filigree mount, one side set with coloured stones, overall surmounted by Régence canopy, apparently unmarked
51cm., 20in. high
1965gr., 63oz. 3dwt.
Inventory, 1949, 'MONSTRANCE, 16th century [sic], embossed, with jewelled mounts' in the Strong Room
Saint Romuald was an ascetic 11th century Italian monk from Ravenna who founded the Camaldolese monastic order.