A PAIR OF JEWELLED GOLD LORGNETTES, EARLY 20TH CENTURY
on a black ribbon with two small chased gold buckles and mounts, fitted case with gilt-stamped retailer's label: 'ROSS OPTICIANS 111 NEW BOND ST W.',
13.5cm. long; 5¼in.
The well-known business of Ross Ltd., opticians of 111 New Bond Street (between 1892 and 1917) and various other addresses, was established by Andrew Ross (1798-1859) at 5 Albemarle Street, St. John’s Square, Clerkenwell in 1830. A mathematical instrument and microscope maker, he won a Gold Medal at the Great Exhibition of 1851. The first became known for the manufacture of precision lenses for photographers, &c. Described as ‘opticians, manufacturers of microscopes, telescopes, photographic lenses, photographic cameras and photographic apparatus, spectacles, race, field and opera glasses, philosophical instruments, &c.’ Ross & Co. was headed by Thomas Ross following his father, Andrew’s death. The business was converted into a limited liability company in 1897. Later styled Ross Optical Ltd., the firm went into liquidation in 1982.