Property from a Swiss Private Collection
A PAIR OF HELLENISTIC GOLD EARRINGS, CIRCA LATE 4TH/3RD CENTURY B.C.
each with tapering spiral wire hoop and terminal in the form of a griffin or lion-griffin head, with boldly stylized features, a filigree collar of tongues on the shoulder.
Width 3.7 cm.
Leo Biaggi de Blasys (1906-1979), Lugano, acquired in the 1950s/1960s
by descent to the present owner
Cf. T. Hackens, Classical Jewelry, Museum of Art, Rhode island School of Design, Providence, 1976, pp. 77-79, no. 26. For a discussion of the type see J. M. Ogden, Gold jewellery in Ptolemaic, Roman and Byzantine Egypt, Durham theses, Durham University, 1990, Online: http://etheses.dur.ac.uk/1457/ pp. 154 – 155.