Property from a Swiss Private Collection
A GREEK GOLD THIGH-BAND, CIRCA LATE 4TH CENTURY B.C.
with braided chain of cylindrical section terminating at each end in the head of a lion, the clasp in the form of a Herakles Knot decorated with rosettes and ends terminating in lion heads.
Length 38 cm.
Leo Biaggi de Blasys (1906-1979), Lugano, acquired in the 1950s/1960s
by descent to the present owner
Cf. H. Hoffman and P. F. Davidson, Greek Gold. Jewelry from the Age of Alexander, 1965, no. 85; also compare Sotheby’s, New York, December 10th, 2008, no. 57.