A FRAGMENTARY ROMAN MARBLE CINERARY URN, 1ST/2ND CENTURY A.D.
of cylindrical form, carved in relief with two sleeping erotes, each leaning on an inverted torch and with a quiver at his feet, flanking a rectangular panel engraved with eight lines of Latin inscription reading D(is) M(anibus) / Gn(aio) Lucretio / Hermadioni / Lucretia / Ianuaria / conjugi bene / merenti / fecit ("To the Spirits of the Departed. Lucretia Ianuaria made this for her well-deserving husband Gnaius Hermadion").
29 by 33 cm.
Henry de Montherlant (1895-1972), Paris, acquired prior to 1950
Artcurial, Paris, November 17th, 2017, no. 1, illus.
Cf. F. Sinn, Stadtrömische Marmorurnen, 1987, pls. 91 and 95, and Sotheby's, New York, June 7th, 2012, no. 56.