American Japonesque sterling silver flask.
- Made by Gorham in Providence in 1878.
- Ovoid with flat front and back, short neck, and chained, threaded and cork-lined cover.
- Engraved bamboo, cranes, butterflies and pavilions.
- Bottom cup detachable to reveal same on gilt ground.
- Stylistically integrated 2-letter monogram.
- Butler finish.
- Fully marked including maker’s stamp, date symbol and number 20.
Wear and light scratches with age and use.
Height: 6.25 inches / 15.88 cm
Width: 3.63 inches / 9.22 cm
Depth: 1.13 inches / 2.87 cm
Victorian, Aesthetic Movement
Country of Origin