American Edwardian sterling silver Pennsylvania golf club trophy cup.
- Made by Watson Silver, ca 1910.
- Retailed at George W. Welsh’s Son.
- Baluster bowl with silver-mounted horn side handles; domed foot and gilt-washed interior.
- On front is engraved presentation: “James C. Brooks / Memorial Cup / Ideal Score for Men May 1st To Oct. 1st 1912” and “West Chester Golf & Country Club / West Chester Pa” encircling applied rondel with figure of golfer teeing off.
- On back is engraved: “Won By / John M. Hemphill.”
- Hemphill (d. 1957) was active in state politics and was the Democratic nominee for governor in the pre-New Deal election of 1930.
- Fully marked including maker’s (Watson) and retailer’s (George W. Welsh’s Son) stamps, and number 8020.
Wear consistent with age and use.
Height: 9 inches / 22.86 cm
Width: 11 inches / 27.94 cm
Depth: 5 inches / 12.7 cm
Gross weight: 22.5 troy ounces
Sterling Silver, Horn
Country of Origin