Price upon request
A pair of Regency 21-inch terrestrial and celestial library globes by John & William Cary, London
the celestial globe dated 1800, the terrestrial globe dated 1815
the terrestrial globe with cartouche reading 'CARY'S NEW TERRESTRIAL GLOBE EXHIBITING The Tracks and Discoveries made by CAPTAIN COOK; Also those of CAPTAIN VANCOUVER on the NORTH WEST COAST OF AMERICA; and M DE LAPEROUSE on the COAST of TARTARY, TOGETHER with every other improvement collected from Various Navigators to the present time. LONDON: Made & Sold by J & W Cary, Strand, March 1st 1815', the Celestial globe with cartouche reading 'CARY'S New and Improved CELESTIAL GLOBE ON WHICH is carefully laid down the whole of the STARS AND NEBULAE Contained in the ASTRONOMICAL CATALOGUE of the REVD. MR WOLLASTON F.R.S. Compiled from the Authorities of FLAMSTEED, DE LA CAILLE, HEVELIUS, MAYER, BRADLEY, HERSCHEL, MASKELYNE &c. With an extensive number form the Works of Miss Herschel, The whole adapted to the Year 1800, and the Limits of each Constellation determined by a Boundary line. LONDON: Made & Sold by J & W Cary, No.181 Strand, Mar 1 1799', on brass mounted mahogany stands with reeded legs joined by turned stretchers with printed paper compasses
overall height 120cm.; 3ft. 11 1/4 in.
Located in London. Please enquire to arrange a viewing.
Sheffield Park, Sussex
The firm of Cary was established in the late 18th century by John Cary (c.1754-1835), a noted map seller, and his brother William (c.1759-1825), an optician and nautical instrument maker. John gained his apprenticeship from William Palmer, becoming a freeman in 1778. Following this he entered into the engraving and map selling trade from about 1782, based at Johnson's Court, Fleet Street, London, subsequently moving to premises at the corner of Arundel Street, Strand. The firm published their first globes in January 1791, advertising them in the Travellers Companion where it was stated that they made terrestrial and celestial globes in 3, 9, 12 and 21 in. diameter. sizes `from entire new Plates'. This distinguished their maps from the those printed by rival manufacturers from old ammended copper plates. Having moved to 181 Strand in 1791, J & W Cary had established themselves as one of London's foremost globe manufacturers along with two other notable family firms Newton and Bardin. John Cary's two sons John (c.1788-1859) and George (1791-1852), trading from the same address, continued to produce globes of the highest standard, until the mid-19th century, having introduced an 18in. diameter globe to their range in 1820. After the death of John Cary senior in 1835, the business was taken over by Henry Gould, although the company retained the name of Cary until 1890. In 1892, the Post Office directory recorded Cary & Co. at 7 Pall Mall, and subsequently Cary, Porter & Co. at the same premises from 1894-1904. Examples of the company's work are illustrated in Elly Dekker and Peter van der Krogt, Globes from the Western World, 1993, pls.33, 37 and 38.