PROPERTY OF THE COMMUNITY CHURCH OF DOUGLASTON, NY, SOLD TO BENEFIT THE RESTORATION FUND
This silver communion set, consisting of two flagons, six wine cups, and four dishes, was donated in 1824 by Catharine De Peyster to the Reformed Protestant Dutch Church on Market Street in New York. The church, founded in 1817, was disbanded in 1869. The silver was placed in a vault in 1879, rediscovered in 1928, and then donated to the Douglastown, Long Island Community Church where it was used again for communion service for the first time in forty-nine years.
Catharine De Peyster (née Livingston) was born to Catharina De Peyster and John Livingston in 1759 in New York. She married her cousin, Colonel Abraham De Peyster in 1785. Abraham was a Loyalist officer during the Revolutionary War and served as the Treasurer of the Province in New Brunswick. When he died in 1798, Catharine moved with their six children back to New York. She died in 1839.
Please call 1-800-555-5555 to order a print catalog for this sale.
Online Registration to Bid is Closed for this Sale. Would you like to watch the live sale?Watch Live Sale