The Kalo shops were founded in 1900 by six young women trained at the Art Institute, led by Clara Barck, later Wells. The name was taken from a Greek word meaning "To Make Beautiful". The shop started in Park Ridge, IL, moving to Chicago in 1914 and with a New York location 1912-16. About the same time the shop focused from its wider earlier range to its most popular handwrought copper and silver pieces. Barck hired almost all female designers, but the craftsmen were mostly Scandinavian immigrant men, twenty-five at the shop's peak production.