This is believed to be the sash badge awarded to Adolphus, 1st Duke of Cambridge, in 1815. If so it would originally have been fitted with the Crown suspension for a Knight of the Garter as specified by George IV (see lots 12 and 13 below). The barrel loop on the present badge has evidently been reworked, suggesting that the crown was later removed, and the plain backplate might well have been provided either at the same time or at a later date for use by Prince George, 2nd Duke, who was considered as ‘Acting Grand Master’ of the Order in 1862. Alteration would have made the heavy badge more manageable and convenient to wear, and it could not be accidentally worn back-to-front. See also note to the following lot.