The Concordat was signed in 1801 between Pius VII and Joseph Bonaparte, brother of the First Consul Napoleon Bonaparte, on behalf of the French government. This agreement established the new official relations between the Church and the French State after the events of the Revolution. It was ratified by papal bull in August and promulgated the following year, during the second year of Pius VII's pontificate. It marked the official resumption of religious worship in France. An imperial decree, dated 19th February 1806 (see illustration), stated that on the 15th August, the day of the Assumption of the Virgin, the Saint-Napoléon and the Concordat was also to be celebrated. The scene here depicted is probably a Mass of the Assumption after the 1806 decree.