These very fine candelabra is clearly influenced by Parisian silversmiths. The first we can mention is by Paul Soulaine, 1726, included in the Baron Pichon sale in 1878, today part of the Nissim de Camondo museum in Paris. Then one can find two pairs by Jean Mauzié, 1728 and 1729, the last one having been part of the David-Weill sale in 1972 (nr 57), and two pairs by Jacques Besnier, 1730, one included in the second sale of Baron Pichon's collection in 1897 (nr 400), and, the same year, two pairs by Sébastien Igonnet, Beaussant-Lefèvre, Paris, 10 December 2004, nr 441. There is also a set of four by Pierre Hannier, 1732, Rothschild provenance (Christie's London, 23 October 1940, nr 126), then collection de la vicomtesse Vigier, Rheims, Galliéra, 2 June 1970, nr 62 and Christie's London, 28 November 1985, nr 3. From 1747, a pair by Charles César Haudry was sold at Dupont, Morlaix, 26 February 2013, nr 260. Finally, the only provincial pair has been sold by Christie's Paris on 17 December 2009, nr 47 ; it was stamped with marks of Jean-Baptiste Lalisse, Maubeuge, circa 1730-1738.
However, our pair, stamped with Grenoble marks, 1745-1749, is the only one to have the two-light arms.
Sotheby's is grateful to Bernard Causse for his great help in cataloguing this superb pair of candelabra.